How To Avoid Chafing – Tips And Tricks
Ladies and gentlemen, it’s time we talked about chafing. It’s uncomfortable, it’s embarrassing, it’s one of the human body’s many foibles,and unfortunately, sometimes unavoidable until you find the way that works for you. Luckily, though, this blog may have a few tips and tricks that will keep your runs smooth and enjoyable.
What Is Chafing?
Chafing is a skin irritation that occurs when parts of the body are constantly rubbed through repetitive motion, mostly areas like the chest, armpits, and the inner thigh, even sometimes in the toes. It can be a result of the skin rubbing on skin or against clothing and it can be made worse as sweat build ups. As a result, the skin becomes red and sore, and even inflamed unless you’re able to alleviate the situation by showering and putting on fresh clothes. Even then, it may take some time for the inflammation to settle down, so it can be a source of frustration and irritation for everyone.
How To Treat It
If you’ve been unable to avoid it, and you’re now dealing with painful chafing, there are a few things you can do to alleviate the problem:
- Stop whatever you’re doing that has caused the chafing.
- Have a shower to clean away the sweat and salt residue. Pat the area dry and then take it easy for a bit.
- Allow the affected area to get some fresh air to help dry off any excess moisture. This may prove somewhat tricky depending on where the chafing has occurred.
- If you can’t stop or want to finish what you’re doing first, you’ll need to find a way to ease the rubbing. Try adding petroleum jelly or even coconut oil to help lubricate the area.
The severity of the chafe will vary, and it can obviously be worse for those with sensitive skin, but recovery should only take a day or two if you take care of it. If you don’t, the area can become inflamed and even blister. This can lead to infections, and given that most of the areas that are prone to this ailment are rather sensitive, this situation is far from ideal. So, if you do experience chafing, make sure to sort it out quickly so you can avoid a lengthy period on the couch.
How To Avoid Chafing When Running
Fortunately, there are a few precautions you can take to help keep the chafe away.
- No cotton
As comfy as the material is in a lot of situations, it’s bad for running. It absorbs sweat, and then it stays wet and causes excess friction. Instead, wear synthetic, moisture-wicking fabrics that allow your sweat to bead off and fall away from your skin.
- Make sure everything fits properly
Too tight and it’ll dig in. Too loose and it’ll rub. On the other hand, if your undergarments fit properly then that might be all it takes to avoid chafing altogether. A good pair of compression shorts might end up saving you from what could seem like the worst inner-thigh chafing of your life so they may be worth the investment.
- Avoid seams and tags
Seams and tags on clothes tend to be rough and scratchy. Over time, these will cause irritation, so make sure your shirts and sports bras are nice and smooth to avoid nasty chafing across the chest.
- Stay hydrated
It may only be an indirect link, but it can be a cause. Dehydration reduces the body’s ability to flush salts, leading to them being deposited in your sweat. They dry out on your skin and thenÂ cause a chafe, so stay on top of it by keeping yourself properly hydrated.
- Lube up
There are a range of products that can be applied to susceptible parts of your body to help the skin avoid becoming irritated:
- Body Glide Skin Glide Liquified Powder: This powder provides silky smooth protection against chafing, and is suitable for use on any part of the body where it may be needed. It contains no petroleum, mineral oils or lanolin, which makes it ideal for sensitive skin. It’s also allergen free and vegan friendly.
- Body Glide Balm: This balm leaves a dry, invisible barrier for your skin that, when applied prior to dressing, should keep you completely free from chafing. Much like the Body Glide Liquified Powder, it is free of petroleum, mineral oils and lanolin, and is allergen free and vegan friendly.
Run With Ease
The issue with chafing is that no matter what you do, it may happen anyway. So, at Pure Running, we aim to help make your run, ride, or whatever exercise you partake in smooth and energising, without the chance of chafing. Hopefully our tips and tricks have helped you become reinvigorated with exercise and are ready to smash some goals. Visit our websiteÂ for more information and maybe even something new to show off.